Real heroes don’t wear capes17 November 2023 - Sunrise Foundation
Big Brothers Big Sisters (BBBS) is part of the world’s largest volunteering network, providing tamariki with a mentor for an hour a week. A grant from Ross and Jackie McDonald’s named fund with Sunrise has been used to match Tairāwhiti’s first BBBS mentor and mentee.
BBBS Tairāwhiti facilitator Tiffany Zyp says it’s a thorough process to match mentors and mentees, at a cost of approximately $2500 per match. Once approved, mentors are carefully matched with a child between 6 and 12 years old for a one-year commitment, then after that it’s up to those involved to decide whether the relationship continues.
“The Sunrise grant paid for our first match of Jake and Chris. Jake’s mum was instrumental in bringing BBBS to Gisborne, so it’s great to see this match going ahead,” says Tiffany.
Jake has no father present in his life, so when mum Gina Caroll stumbled across BBBS whilst scrolling online, she knew it was exactly the type of service Jake would benefit from.
“For boys who don’t have a father in their life, not having that male energy is huge,” says Gina.
Gina contacted BBBS head office and was excited to discover that they were looking to expand, eventually agreeing Gisborne would be a perfect location.
“Jake is feeling cautiously excited to get started and is looking forward to the male company - having someone he can rely on to consistently turn up each week,” says Gina.
The team at BBHS stress that you don’t need a super talent to be a mentor - the job’s 75% done if you just show up for an hour a week.
If being a mentor is something you’d like to find out more about, or if you know of a child who could benefit from BBBS’s services, email email@example.com.
- Summer 2023Summer-2023.pdf - (551 KB)
- Spring 2023Spring-2023.pdf - (515 KB)
- Winter 2023Winter-2023.pdf - (541 KB)
- Autumn 2023Autumn-2023.pdf - (549 KB)
- Summer 2022Summer-2022.pdf - (560 KB)
- SPRING 2022SPRING-2022.pdf - (451 KB)
- Winter 2022Winter-2022.pdf - (1 MB)
- Autumn 2022Autumn-2022.pdf - (460 KB)
- Summer 2021Summer-2021.pdf - (553 KB)
- Spring 2021Spring-2021.pdf - (1.1 MB)
- Winter 2021Winter-2021.pdf - (606 KB)
- Autumn 2021Autumn-2021.pdf - (568 KB)
- Summer 2020Summer-2020.pdf - (584 KB)
- Spring 2020Spring-2020.pdf - (548 KB)
- Winter 2020Winter-2020.pdf - (548 KB)
- Autumn 2020Autumn-2020.pdf - (478 KB)
- Summer 2019Summer-2019.pdf - (1.4 MB)
- Spring 2019Spring-2019.pdf - (493 KB)
- Winter 2019Winter-2019.pdf - (436 KB)
- Autumn 2019Autumn-2019.pdf - (943 KB)
- Summer 2018Summer-2018.pdf - (408 KB)
- Spring 2018Spring-2018.pdf - (349 KB)
- Winter 2018Winter-2018.pdf - (277 KB)
- Autumn 2018Autumn-2018.pdf - (303 KB)
- Summer 2017Summer-2017.pdf - (276 KB)
- Winter 2017Winter-2017.pdf - (1.2 MB)
- Autumn 2017Autumn-2017.pdf - (413 KB)