Gisborne Rowing sees double21 February 2019 - Sunrise Foundation
Colin and Diane Christie are big supporters of Gisborne Rowing Club as their youngest daughter Emma rowed with them in her teenage years. Rowing is a sport that requires determination and fitness and they say Emma not only enjoyed the physical aspect of the rowing, but also the discipline of the sport. She is still rowing today on Lake Hayes from her home in Arrowtown.
Gisborne Rowing Club was established in 1874 and is the only club in the Gisborne area providing coaching and support for rowers of all ages and abilities. The majority of the club are young people aged between 13 and 22, they travel away to club and school regattas around New Zealand every year.
Colin remembers Emma’s trips away fondly, and says a highlight was a single sculls race at Karapiro where she came a distant second behind Caroline Evers-Swindell who went on to become a double Olympic gold medallist. “Training on our twisting Waimata river is fairly difficult, and I think that’s why we turn out some pretty good rowers.”
Colin and Diane established the Gisborne Rowing Club Endowment Fund at Sunrise in 2015 and are regular donors to the fund. Diane says they want to support a sport that has done so much for their daughter and would like to see the fund grow to become a much-needed regular source of income for the club.
“We know from experience that it’s a huge job for the rowing club every year fundraising to meet travel costs to regattas, as well as the cost of repairing boats and equipment. We would like to encourage and help other young people in Gisborne get into rowing.”
This year they have decided to do something a little bit different with their donation and have offered to match any donations made by others, dollar for dollar. So, if you’d like to support Gisborne Rowing, now is the time. Donate to their fund before 31 March 2019 and Colin and Diane will match your donation (up to $3000). Double bang for your buck – how awesome is that!
- Autumn 2019Autumn-2019.pdf - (943 KB)
- Summer 2018Summer-2018.pdf - (408 KB)
- Spring 2018Spring-2018.pdf - (349 KB)
- Winter 2018Winter-2018.pdf - (277 KB)
- Autumn 2018Autumn-2018.pdf - (303 KB)
- Summer 2017Summer-2017.pdf - (276 KB)
- Winter 2017Winter-2017.pdf - (1.2 MB)
- Autumn 2017Autumn-2017.pdf - (413 KB)
- Spring 2016Spring-2016.pdf - (372 KB)
- Winter 2016Sunrise-Foundation-Newsletter-Winter-2016.pdf - (460 KB)
- Autumn 2016Sunrise-Foundation-Newsletter-February-2016.pdf - (493 KB)
- Spring 2015Sunrise-Foundation-Newsletter-September-2015.pdf - (537 KB)